Friday, November 30, 2012

Animals that can count

While other species may not spend their time sweating over quadratic equations like we did at school, they can carry out some pretty impressive calculations.  

Animals that can count 

"Numbers are fun." So insisted my seventh grade teacher, but my stubborn thirteen-year-old self refused to believe him. Numbers may be fun, but mathematics was hard. I struggled through maths classes when I was in school, painfully working my way through algebra, then geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. Though I eventually got over my contempt for mathematics, there was a time in which I thought that only humans could be so sadistic as to inflict the pain of mathematics on their young.

But, while other species may not spend their time fretting over the quadratic equation or the transitive property of equality, mathematical ability is widespread in the animal kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...